Thursday, May 28, 2015

Smooth Sailing... NOT

I may have already mentioned this... but I'll say it again... I'm sailing off to Alaska! No but really I am... only it's after a road trip up from Sacramento, CA, through Portland, OR, a quick stop in Seattle, WA, then across the USA/Canadian boarder to Vancouver, BC, Canada.  Ummmm WOAH. Can I just say I'm not sure I'm quite ready for this trip.  And I've been contemplating outfits for all of a... well actually probably since I booked the trip almost a year ago! So if you can imagine.  And the hardest part of it, who travels to a cold place in the summer, (well this fam does), and what do you even pack for this kind of weather (I have no clue what kind of climate/weather to expect... I just think SNOW and Glaciers, and then I think of Sitka from the movie the Proposal with Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds, and of course Betty White!). Well supposedly it's more like Lake Tahoe weather, "Oh awesome" I think, "that place is near me... I know the weather... wait no I don't, I haven't been there in like YEARS!"  So needless to say, I have been lost.  But the good thing is, Sacramento weather lately is on a frits, and I have a feeling we have been somewhat prepared for the Alaska weather in this oddly cold Mid-May weather I've experienced.

7-Night Alaskan Cruise Itinerary- A
http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/cruises-destinations/alaska/itineraries
Why am I sailing off you ask.  Well I will be on a Disney Cruise sailing off to Alaska, and stopping at a few of it's ports.  So no this is not permanent.  All in all, I expect a great trip, new experiences, and definitely traveling through uncharted territories, well at least for me.  I've never been that far north on the west coast! Yay!

So I made a list. And I've shopped plenty (because cold weather clothes is on scary discount at this point.. YAY!). And I've packed.

Let me tell you... Packing is such a process for a girl like me that its more stressful than anything. And I swear in my mind I'm avoiding over packing... but some may argue that I don't really make much of a difference at all.  I just need some kind of organized mess, or I'm a mess.  I started by typing up a whole list of things I could possibly bring. Then I would write down outfits as I go.  I figured about 14 outfits total for the 7 day cruise because we need to dress up a couple nights and because I don't feel like being the kind to wear her jeans and t-shirt from all day to dinner... come on, lobster and steak and who knows what else... I need to look decent and deserving of that second round of food! But alas, I packed, it all fit in my decent sized luggage, and I'm ready to go!

The planning of activities has been a bit troublesome too. Like seriously, who can choose when there are about 20 excursions to do! Like seriously helicopter rides to glaciers, dog sledding, zip lining, tours on tours on tours, whale watching, I could probably go ice fishing if I looked for it, some lumber jack shows (insert whistle here), etc.  But we finally nailed it down to a couple of sight seeing tours and some zip lining!  WOO HOO! check that off my bucket list!

And by some miracle, although it may rain while we are there, it looks like my zip lining day will not be needing a rain check! SCORE!  I'm sure I'll have a wonderful story about that day seeing that I'm terrified of heights! Let's see how well this goes for me.

Can't wait to share my pictures and my adventures with you.  This journey of planning and packing has been quite an adventure in of it's self. Stay tuned!

-Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment