Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Chicago, It's Bean Real!

Chicago, Illinois
September 25-28, 2015

If you are reading this then you already know me by now. I'm crazy about traveling and I take the chance to explore with anyone who offers it. So when I was asked to go to Chicago I was like "I've never been there. I might be cutting it close on the vacation time and finds. But hell why not!?!" So yup I booked my flight. 

Let me tell you this Windy City is... well not so windy (at least not that week in October). But it's beautiful. The sky line is marvelous and the weather is better than I expected. Though it does get pretty chilly at night. 

On day 1 we ventured out and just headed on an adventure to find the BEAN! (we thought we had a plan this whole trip... but really we just has a list of things we wanted to do and hadn't figured out when, what time, and how) Haha that was not easy regardless of the fact it's like 2 blocks, a flight of stairs, another 2 blocks, and a walk through Millennium Park away from our hotel to get to that BEAN. (Don't ever depend on your iPhone maps people. They are not all that accurate.). But we did find this super cool bridge that went over a... Freeway or street haha. No water under that bridge. But the bridge was still so cool. And is set in a beautiful background of the sky line and an outdoor concert hall that had an awesome design.





While in Chicago there is no living if you don't have a deep dish pizza... which is actually called a stuffed pizza at Giordano's. Of course we ordered the Chicago classic. And it was AMAZING cheesy goodness with a beautiful deep dished crust made of the most amazing dough. I mean it was pizza heaven! (sorry, pizza did not make it for a selfie... haha)


Magnificent Mile shopping is an everyday must. With just about every shop you can think of at a walking distance. It was a shopaholics kryptonite. Didn't help that it was two blocks from my hotel!

Day 2 was a bit slower for me. I got to savor in some R&R through the day and let me tell you, it was needed!!  Highlight of the day however is definitely the fact that I got to go to the John Hancock building.  As I walked in and had to wait in line for for an elevator ride I had no idea what to expect. I'm thinking "this is definitely exclusive and they are going to realize I don't belong here!"  But they let us in the elevator and took us up 96 floors. I'm thinking "ok this is interesting". I walk into the bathroom and BAM! a view of the city... Ya in the bathroom. Like seriously "don't mind if I take a selfie before I pee... But that view is amazing!!  (see video... ya that was in the bathroom) I was not prepared for that view at all. We finally were allowed in and were seated right at the bar. Ordered our Moscow mules of course, and sipped from our copper cups as we enjoyed the ambiance and stared out into the city. Experience of a life time. and perfect setting for when you just wanna feel like you are doing something grown up, classy, and different.  We enjoyed another drink, a bit more chattering, and decided shopping was A Great Idea.... (give a couple girls a couple drinks, a set of credit cards and a Magnificent Mile to shop in... and you will have two girls who forgot they didn't eat dinner) And as we are leaving the store and thinking "man we shoulda ate something". A frikin cupcake food truck is right there!! Answered prayers. I swear... Chicago just knows!




Day 3 led to an even more amazing experience. The weather got a bit colder so I only took a brisk walk around the block to see where I was. But later on we took an uber to Willis Tower. Where again an elevator took us high up... this time 103 stories high and we stood out on a clear platform over looking all of Chicago. Conquering my fear of heights as I looked directly below my feet and could barely make out cars, buildings, let alone people. I mean seriously, I was hyperventilating and literally took baby steps onto the platform.  It is not an easy thing to stomach people!! That is 103 stores up... above a city! But 3 minutes into a photoshoot and SnapChat sesh, and I was actually comfortable with the height!  If you have never experienced looking out into the world from high up above, please I beg you. Do it!!  It's amazing and put so much into perspective. It's a must. Plus a few failed selfies always make the experience even more fun! (Tip: bring a selfie stick!!)

Failed Selfies... not a good angle ha!



We ventured out into the rain and found a quaint Italian restaurant that was actually quite good and ended up finding a small donut shop called Firecakes!  It was so good. And perfect for the rainy weather. 

Random fact. President Obama was there in Chicago that day. And he attended a Bull's game... Why didn't we think of doing that?!

Well Chicago was amazing to say the least. The architecture was classic and modern and blended so well. Adding beauty to just about everywhere you looked.  This city could very well be one of the most beautiful places I've been, as far as an urban jungle goes... I can still admit the natural beauty you see in nature has no comparison.  But the city sure was pretty.  I've been lucky to journey with my travel buddy and can't wait for the adventures i have in store!  Stay toned... 2016 is looking quite promising.



Enjoy the journey through my eyes (and by my feet)... Chicago style!

-Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment